Award-winning documentary photographer Rick Rocamora, who took pictures ofFilipino WWII veterans for 18 years as they wait to be recognized as equalto US veterans, will sign books and show a slide show about his work.Rocamora has documented the lives of the Filipino veterans, still clingingto hard-won medals, military commendations and scraps of uniforms as theymake their way in San Francisco's toughest neighborhoods. Rocamora's deepconnection to the veterans allows a rare view into their difficult butalways dignified lives, and creates a poignant story of pain, persistenceand hope.Rocamora's images have been part of investigative stories on the abuse ofveterans in North Richmond, California, Medicare scam in San Francisco thatused them, exhibitions in the US Congress and other venues and countlesspresentations and photo essays about their plight. His images have been partof their struggle and have been credited in inspiring others to advocate forequity for the veterans.His photo-documentary work, including words of supporters, historicalanecdotes and chronology is now part of the book "AMERICA'S SECOND-CLASSVETERANS".
Thinking this would be a perfect thing to do with my dad, I showed my dad the email and asked him if he was interested. To my surprise, he said, "I know that guy, he's your Tito Totoy." (To the non-Tagalog speakers, Tito=Uncle.) Apparently, my father knows Rick! They used to work together in Manila. Small world, isn't it? Also, my mom and Rick's ex-wife were sorority sisters together in college in Manila and are still very good friends.
Needless to say, we checked out Rick's talk and loved it. If you'd like to know more about him and his work, click here. His photos are very powerful. We enjoyed his talk and photos very much. My dad and Tito Totoy did a bit of catching up. I even got a photo of the two of them:
Other than seeing Tito Totoy, we did a lot of walking around Boston. Here's a photo of my dad checking out the Holocaust Memorial in Boston:
We also did a lot of seafood eating, including oysters (raw and fried) and lobster rolls. Delicious.
As for pregnancy/baby news, everything is going well. In my 36th week, I'm finally starting to really feel heavy. The baby has started to "drop" and I'm really feeling that. It seems like I visit the ladies room pretty much every hour. Here's a profile photo I just took (a bit blurry because I used my phone camera):
Summer has finally decided to come to Boston and we've been having 90-degree weather for about a week now. Not so comfortable for me, but I'm trying to cope. The nursery is almost finished. The crib now has a mattress. We are just putting the finishing touches in terms of what we want to put up on the walls. Adrian also got an awesome lamp for the nursery. Plus, we commissioned our artist friend Bren, whom I mentioned earlier, to make a painting for the nursery. We can't wait to see it! I hope it's done soon. The nursery will not be complete without it. We have a few pieces of his artwork, one of which can be seen here (2nd row, last painting). This painting is already up in the nursery. If you'd like to know more about Bren, click here. He's not only an amazing artist, but an amazing guy.
We are gearing up for Wine & Dine this weekend. Guests are starting to arrive tonight and festivities will last through Sunday. It will be our last big hoorah before the baby comes. So I should have more pictures to share in the next blog post. Hope you are all doing well!



So cool that Rick knew Mom and Dad. You look beautiful! Can't wait to see you soon... Have fun at the wine & dine. Love yoU!
ReplyDeleteYou look so great! I love the dress! Hang in there. Mommyhood is just around the corner and you are going to love it! Can't wait to see the pics from wine & dine. We will miss everyone.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Carrie
Thanks Jose and Carrie. I'm getting big!
ReplyDeleteJose, get this, Tito Totoy's ex-wife is Tita Sorcy! Plus, he's like a 2nd dad to RB and Rebecca. Crazy, huh?
ReplyDeleteLove that dress. And you look good. The tummy looks really low so just hang in there, it's coming soon! I also love our Bren Pinay painting. Enjoy your W&D party.
ReplyDeleteLove the dress! You're looking great... hope you have a fun wine & dine!
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for all the lovely well wishes and my dress thanks you too! Can you believe it's not even a maternity dress? We kicked off Wine & Dine with dinner last night. More festivies to come. Hope you're all well!
ReplyDeleteI checked out Rick Rocamora's website. Wow, very powerful shots. I also met him in NY when I had just arrived from MLA, many, many moons ago. Thanks for sharing that. xox
ReplyDelete