Thursday, August 6, 2009

34 Weeks, 4 Days: How do you like your Oeuf?

Hello family and friends! We've been busy the last couple of weeks, going to a wedding and trying to get the nursery in order. Let's see, what have we done since the last post?

On July 24, Adrian scored some really nice box tickets to the Red Sox game. What a difference box seats make when you're pregnant. The tickets we normally get are bleacher seats. The seat pitch (space between seat rows) is almost double in the box seats than the bleacher seats. Normally not a big deal for a shrimp like me, but when you're 2 to 3 times wider front-to-back due to the baby bump, that extra space is very much appreciated. Plus, you don't get as many (or as drunk) fools in the box seats. (The last game we had tickets to, we sat in the bleachers and one of our friends had to have the guys behind us thrown out of the game, they were obnoxiously loud and kept spilling beer on us, while sipping from their contraband liquor bottles. Classy.) Here are a couple of photos from the game, taken at 32 weeks, 5 days:

We went on our hospital tour on July 25. We were told where to park and where to sign-in when we arrive at the hospital and were shown the two types of rooms (1. Labor, birth, & recovery, and 2. Postpartum) we would be in. I took photos of the rooms, mostly for my own edification so I won't post them here. One of the other women on the tour with us was 37 weeks pregnant (that's considered full-term for you pregnancy newbies). She felt a bit warm and light-headed during the tour and had to sit for a spell. I suspect it was because there was a woman in OBVIOUS labor moaning and groaning down the hall. We were all valiantly trying to ignore the noises coming from that vicinity, but I think it might have been what got to her. Oy vey.

Last weekend was Janay and Maurice's wedding in Dallas! Janay is my best friend from high school and we were so happy that we were able to make it to her wedding. It was technically the last week I was allowed to travel so we cut it pretty close! However, my feet didn't swell up quite as much as on the plane rides to and from Seattle, though the plane trips were shorter so that may be the explanation. We had a wonderful time at the wedding and could not be happier for Janay and Maurice. Here's a photo of me (33w6d) in a rocking chair I scored during the ceremony:
And here is a photo of the newlyweds with Janay's mom, Patricia:
The next two photos are of me and Janay (doesn't she look fantastic?) and of the four of us:
Man, am I getting huge, or what? (More photos of the wedding can be found here.)

Speaking of getting huge, we had our most recent OB appointment a few days ago. One of the things they ask me to do is to weigh myself on the scale in the little room. I think it's hilarious they're trusting a woman who is gaining weight (at what seems like an astronomical pace to her) to tell the truth about how much she's gained! Though, I am a horrible liar and besides, why would I lie to my doctor? So I always tell the truth. However, this week I reached a particular milestone in my weight that I was not looking forward to. I now weigh as much as Adrian did when we first started dating in high school. When I pointed this out to him in the doctor's office he said, "And I was this height then." To which I replied, "Well, I'm two people!" But the weight is fine with my doctor so it's fine with me. She said I'm measuring right on target for how many weeks pregnant I am. Everything is going well. The baby is in the correct (upside down) position, and apparently she's starting to drop. I can tell this because I have to visit the bathroom much more often now.

We have been working on the nursery since getting back from Dallas. We finished painting a few weeks ago and managed to get all the furniture moved Tuesday evening just in time for the crib to arrive yesterday. We were so happy it finally came. My mom ordered it for us weeks ago. (Thanks, Mom! We love it!) The crib was back-ordered (apparently there are very few options for affordable-ish modern cribs outside of IKEA, who knew?) so we were worried we might not get it until after the baby came! But it finally came and Adrian had it assembled in mere minutes. Here are a few photos of the crib assembly and the crib itself, sans mattress (we still have to get that):

As you can see, we've painted the nursery a pale lavender color. We will post more photos once the nursery is finished. I've still got lots of organizing to do.

Last night, I washed all of the baby clothes we've been given so far. So many adorably tiny pieces of clothing. They're so tiny, it seems silly to fold them into something tinier. Three little dresses came out of the dryer wrinkled beyond all recognition so, against my better judgement, I hauled out my iron and ironing board and made them pretty again. And I HATE to iron. I barely even iron my own clothing! (It was a minor revelation when I discovered knits could look just as professional as button-up shirts at work, so I pretty much only wear my button-ups when I'm presenting something or have an important meeting.) Needless to say, that will probably be the only time I iron those. Why in the world would you make baby clothes that require ironing? If I ever run into a "Dry Clean Only" baby outfit, I will just laugh. Besides, many parents have told me that some outfits are only worn once before the kid outgrows them. How tragic! I guess that's why kids clothing is handed down so often.

That's the news from Boston for now. We're just trying to get the nursery in order and we've also got house guests coming over the next few weeks. We hope your summers are all going well!

7 comments:

  1. You look beautiful!!! As does the crib and nursery! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant... as DO the crib and nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gracita Tolentino SieberAugust 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM

    Looking good, Patricia. And your friend, Janay, looked really pretty. I remember her form your wedding. The nursery is shaping up nicely. Though I can't see it from the pics, I like the color you chose for it. Thanks for the update.
    Btw, we're all back in Stockholm after being away for 3 weeks. We have an addition to the family - a hamster! Nina's wish for her birthday and she named it Lingon, after the red Swedish berries because it has red eyes. Oohhh, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tita Cita! We'll send more photos of the nursery after we've put everything in its place. I'm happy Nina got a new pet! I love lingonberries. We can only get them at Ikea here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nursery and crib look great! (As DO you, haha). I see Henry has been moved up to the baby's room... must have been a tragic parting for Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elyse, yes, I'm always surprised by how attached he is to Henry. Considering I've known him so long I shouldn't be. My brother and I weren't really stuffed animal kids. I'm just worried Henry might be carrying dust mites or myriad other creatures - he's so old! I have no idea if he's ever been cleaned. Do you know? How do you clean a stuffed animal that large? Would he even fit in a washing machine? It might mangle him to pieces, and Adrian would never forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe. It's a man's job to build a crib! I remember assembling eleina's... it was so cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete