Wednesday, February 22, 2017

NOVA on PBS: Why Trains Crash

NOVA on PBS aired a show last night titled "Why Trains Crash". They highlighted 3 major train accidents that have happened recently: Chatsworth, Philadelphia (Amtrak 188), and Lac-Megantic in Canada. These very severe (= many fatalities) accidents are part of the driving force of the research we conduct in my division at The Volpe Center. They interviewed my Rail Vehicle Crashworthiness program manager, David Tyrell, and showed a few full-scale train tests and my computer simulations. Here is the complete episode:



My work can be seen at the following times:
14:57 The Crash Energy Management (CEM) Train-to-Train Test that showed the efficacy of the protoype CEM system in mitigating the effects of an impact
16:41 The narrator talks about CEM
16:53 These are my computer simulations of the CEM system at work during a head-on collision of 2 trains
37:00 The CEM Train-to-Train Test again
37:05 The same computer simulation of the CEM system.

I was so excited that my work was on TV (David hadn't told me he'd given them the simulations and test video), that I took a few photos of my TV!


I'm so proud of the work I've done and am doing in saving lives in train accidents.

The full episode on the PBS website can be found here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/why-trains-crash.html

2 comments:

  1. Many, many Congratulations for all the safety work you have accomplished!!
    I know that my Father knew of your work & was in awe of your accomplishments as we all are!

    Also Congratulations "Times 2" on your 2016 Volpe Director's Recognition Awards for
    Emerging Issues & Trends plus (the wording I really Love): "STEM and STEAM"
    I don't know how you can accomplish it all...during a normal work day!
    Not to mention all that is necessary to keep ahead of 2 very active young children.
    Best Wishes for 2017 and the amazing future developments it will bring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew -- Peej -- my heart is swollen with pride!!! Love you, anak.

    ReplyDelete